(All Events take place at Or HaOlam Messianic Synagogue unless otherwise stated)
Yom HaZikaron (Israel Memorial Day); Monday, May 1, 7:30-9 p.m. at the Jewish Community Campus, 5801 W 115th St, OPKS.Free and open to the public, registration requested. An Israeli-style ceremony to commemorate those who have fallen in defense of Israel, as well as victims of terrorism.
Yom HaAtzma’ut (Israel Independence Day); Tuesday, May 2, 5:30-8 p.m., also at the JCC, OPKS (TEEROSH CANCELED TO ALLOW ATTENDANCE). Free and open to the public, registration requested. An Israeli-style celebration with food, entertainment, and family-friendly activities. Register for both events at:
We will have an ongoing Sunday 8-9 p.m. Conference Call Prayer Meeting for the March of Remembrance, now till May 7 or later. The March of Remembrance is a vital expression of Isaiah 40 comfort to Israel, stirring the churches so that they will "remember, honor, and not be silent again" concerning the Holocaust and anti-Semitism. Call 605-475-4001 and wait for the requested access code, which is 925726#. We will be joined by on MoR staffer named Claudia from TOS ministry in New York. The 2017 March will be held on Sunday, May 7 at the Overland Park Convention Center.
· 1:00 p.m. – Education/Testimony: Join us in the ballroom registration area. You can spend time learning more about the Holocaust and Righteous Among the Nations. In the ballroom we will have education video and testimony from survivors, perpetrators, and liberators. Visit our resource page for a sample of posters available.
· 2:30 p.m. – March Preparation: We will begin by participating in the pre-walk repentance and blessing.
· 3:00 p.m. – Walk Begins: Join us for the start of "A Day of Remembrance" with The March of Remembrance Prayer Walk. The walk will be 1.2 miles with the possibility to only go half that distance. The event will be held rain or shine!
Evening of Remembrance – $15
· 6:00 p.m.– Get your tickets today! This event will be held at the Overland Park Convention Center in one of the ballrooms. This is an event that you won't want to miss – it is an opportunity to honor, educate, remember and engage! We will remember & to say to the holocaust survivors and their descendants, "You are not forgotten. You are not alone. We will remember and we will not be silent for Zion's sake".
· Testimony and Professional Violin by Ben Sayevich
· Holocaust & liberation professionally choreographed ballet by Dramatic Truth Ballet Theatre
· Symphonic String quartet to play Jewish musical selections
· Keynote speaker to be confirmed
· Close with Hatikvah to be played by the string quartet
Symposium by Calev Myers, Israeli Attorney(founder of Jerusalem Institute of Justice): A Biblical Worldview of Israel and Social Justice, at International House of Prayer, 12905 US 71, Grandview, MO 64030. May 12-13, $99. Register at ihopkc.org/ihopusymposiums.
Tour of Israel - Or HaOlam will be joining with March of Remembrance in a very exciting VIP tour of Israel, May 16-25, 2017. See the link http://www.cvent.com/events/israel-2017-jerusalem-jubilee-tour/custom-17-3639fd989f4f4df6a9158b7b10f50469.aspx
One unique, premier element of this tour will be on Wednesday, May 24, 2017. We will be involved in the commencement of the 2018 celebration of the 70th Birthday of the Nation! On the itinerary quote below, taken from http://www.marchofremembrance.org/info-25. they mention Latrun, which is the site of a very notable, tragic battle in the War of Independence in 1948, since the British gave a main fortification to the Jordanian Arab Legion, and the siege and starvation of Jerusalem was the result. Numbers of brand new immigrants, Holocaust Survivors, were sent to a desperate battle to take the fort and to lift the siege of Jerusalem, and lost their lives. Eventually, the Jewish forces built a bypass road, named after the tactic used by the British in Burma to defeat the Japanese, and they called it "The Burma Road". We'll be going to the Burma Road and the fortification.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battles_of_Latrun_(1948) [we were told that only the first 50 enrollees on the tour will attend the Latrun event, but I'm not sure yet how that will play out. If there is an alternative activity, it will also be exciting!]
Wednesday, May 24, 2017, we start the day with VIP ceremonies to begin March of the Nations (2018) and then march from Latrun towards Jerusalem on the Burma Road with many civic and social dignitaries of Israel. This day is Yom Yerushalim, (Jerusalem Day) and we will spend the day in the City of the Great King celebrating with Israelis and lovers of Israel from around the world.
Please note that the itinerary on the link above is NOT finalized, but one change for sure is that Shabbat will not be a tour day, but a worship day at a Messianic congregation in Jerusalem!
Other stops will include Shiloh, Sea of Galilee, Jordan River, Qumran, Masada, Dead Sea, Mount of Olives, Western Wall, and many more.
Please pray about joining us! This once-in-a-life tour is only $3,899! And for those who can’t get enough the tour offers an optional Petra/Eilat extension through May 29! Call Marty @ 1-800-273-0793 Ext #118.
Rochelle (Rukhel) Wisoff-Fields will read one of her short Jewish-themed flash fictions at the CloudBursT Jewish Poetry Event (facebook.com/events/1681322878800843) on Sunday, May 21, 2-4 p.m., at Congregation Beth Torah, 6100 W 127th, OPKS. Held in a traditional coffeehouse format including refreshments, the program is open to everyone in the community. All readings touch on a Jewish theme.
Shavuot Celebrationduring Shabbat service, May 27, 10 a.m. Shavuot is on Sivan 6 (sundown May 30 – sundown May 31 in 2017).Our celebration entails parading & waving loaves of leavened bread (that you bring) unto Adoni as part of the Shabbat worship, per Lev 23:17. After waving and praising, we eat the bread during the oneg.
All-Night Shavuot Prayer, Tuesday, May 30, 7 p.m. until… It is the practice of the Jewish people generally, and also Or HaOlam, to spend the night before Shavuot in all night study and worship and prayer, alternating with eating of dairy, veggies, coffee, etc. More details forthcoming.
Upcoming Youth Retreats & Camps:
Reach Initiative - Camp Chalutzim, July 18-Aug 1, Poland, reachii.org
FFOZ – Summer Camp for Messianic Teens, Aug 10-20, Wisconsin Dells, WI, 1221.ffoz.org/camp-tzadi
Messiah Conference 2017 will be held July 2-8 at Messiah College, Grantham PA. Online registration now open at:
or see mjaa.org.
The Center is looking for people to come help...teachers, musicians, dancers, artists, cooks, etc